Quadruple All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins played a total of 16 games with defending champion Milwaukee Bucks after signing him earlier in the season.
Now it looks like the 31-year-old cousins will be looking for a new hometown to move forward in the countryside.
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Milwaukee chose to forgo Cousins. The team want to create flexibility ahead of Friday’s league-wide guarantee date. Earlier Wednesday, Cousins scored 15 points and took 10 rebounds on 5 of 8 shots in a loss to the Toronto Raptors. This makes this movement even more surprising.
- Statistics DeMarcus Cousins (2021-22): 8.7 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 46% shooting, 24% three point
After suffering an Achilles tear as a member of the New Orleans Pelicans in the 2017-18 season, Cousins just wasn’t the same player. Remember, the former Kentucky star averaged 21.5 points and 11.0 rebounds in eight seasons before the injury. He has since averaged 11.4 and 6.9.
Even then, rival teams will likely show interest in the enigmatic great man.
Potential landing points of DeMarcus Cousins
January 5, 2022; Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States; Milwaukee Bucks center DeMarcus Cousins (15) looks for a shot against Toronto Raptors forward Precious Achiuwa (5) in the second quarter at the Fiserv Forum. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports
- Warriors of the Golden State: The cousins played for the Warriors in their last NBA Finals in 2018-19. He averaged 16.3 points and 6.4 rebounds before suffering an ACL tear.
- Los Angeles Lakers: It’s obvious that DeAndre Jordan’s situation isn’t working out in Los Angeles. With Anthony Davis currently sidelined, the team could very well be looking for a backup. It could come in the form of Cousins.
- Brooklyn fillets: Ahead of the widespread COVID-19 problems, the Nets took their former All-Star colleague Blake Griffin off their rotation. Right now, there isn’t much to do with the Nets in the middle. Nic Claxton recently took office.
- The Dallas Mavericks: Maxi Kleber and Moses Brown simply failed to play in Dallas this season. Meanwhile, Willie Cauley-Stein and Boban Marjanović are lower players in the rotation. Why not try your luck on DeMarcus Cousins?
- Miami Heat: With Bam Adebayo currently out due to injury, the Heat are counting on Dewayne Dedmon to play for more minutes. Objectively, Cousins would be an improvement over him until Bam’s return. When that happens, the veteran could take on a bench role.