Gasly looks back on ‘most consistent year’ in Formula 1

Pierre Gasly looks back with satisfaction on the past Formula 1 season. The AlphaTauri driver captured 110 points – more than ever in one season – and finished ninth in the overall standings.

Gasly won his first Grand Prix in 2020. Although he couldn’t match that performance this year – his best finish was a third place in Azerbaijan – he regularly showed his class in midfield. The 26-year-old Frenchman finished in the top six no fewer than nine times, but especially distinguished himself in qualifying. “I think our car was generally stronger in qualifying than in the race,” Gasly told Motorsport Week.

Also read: ‘If I had been Marko, I would have traded Pérez for Gasly’

With the departure of Daniil Kvyat and the arrival of Yuki Tsunoda, a lot of responsibility fell on Gasly and he liked it very much. “We had [dit jaar] a much better understanding of what we needed with the group of engineers. We also had a little more influence on what I needed from the car. with Yuki [Tsunoda] as a newbie there was of course a bit more responsibility about the direction we took.”

Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda (Motorsport Images)

Steps taken
While Gasly makes no secret of the fact that he wants to take another step up and still aspire to a return to Red Bull, he is increasingly comfortable with AlphaTauri. “I feel like I’ve made a step in terms of setup and possibilities to get the most out of the car. You get more confidence and this year was probably my most consistent year. I feel like I took a step this year.”

Order the double champion number and the annual overview of FORMULE 1 Magazine here and get these delivered free of charge. The annual overview and the championship number can also be ordered separately.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.