“Great expectations” for the new Haas in 2022

Even before Christmas, Haas proudly announced that his car for the Formula 1 season 2022 had successfully passed the crash test. The team has high hopes for the new car after deciding not to develop its car for 2021 in order to concentrate all resources on 2022.

That threw Haas back to the bottom of the grid last season. The year ended without points. Nonetheless, Formula 1 rookie Mick Schumacher made good progress in his first season, especially towards the end of the year.

He beat his rookie teammate Nikita Mazepin in all but three races, provided both cars crossed the finish line, and outperformed Mazepin in 20 of the 22 qualifying sessions.

Team boss Günther Steiner admitted that he found the late progress “quite strange”, while Schumacher found it a “big boost”, and that before a season in which he hoped for another step forward with the new car.

“The car looks very positive, from what I see and hear,” Schumacher told Motorsport.com with a view to 2022. “I have great expectations. Hopefully these expectations will be fulfilled on the track in the new year. ”

It will be the first car that Schumacher was able to influence to a certain extent. The German enjoys the challenge of also playing a technical role and helping define the direction of the new car so that the team can tailor it to the needs of the drivers.

“It’s something that has always interested me,” emphasizes Schumacher, “how things work in general, and especially how a Formula 1 car works.”

“I’m pretty deeply involved in the development of the car for 2022 and just want to understand and see it, with all the CAD (Computer Aided Design) models and things like that. So there are definitely a lot of points which I look forward to when I can analyze them at the beginning of the year. ”

So far it has felt great “to work with the team in the factory and to be able to make my own contribution to how I would like the car to be,” says the Haas driver enthusiastically about the new experience of helping to develop a car.

“It is the first time that a car has been built for me, so to speak, and not for everyone. It is very much tailored to our dimensions and our helmets so that everything fits together harmoniously.” The hope is accordingly high that this will also be reflected in better results in the upcoming season.

With images from Motorsport Images.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.