Max Verstappen’s victory in his country returns him to the first place in the World Cup. Hamilton minimizes damage and Mercedes is more of a builder leader.
Max Verstappen prevailed at home in the Dutch GP to regain the world championship lead that he lost before the holidays in July. Hamilton , second, at least saved the fastest lap in extremis to add an extra point and lose ‘only’ six points.
Thus, the distance between Verstappen and Hamilton, which before the Zandvoort weekend was three points in favor of the British, is now three units for the Dutch. However, since Checo Pérez could finally only be eighth, Mercedes increases the distance in the constructors’ championship.
Ranking of the 2021 Formula 1 Drivers’ World Cup after the Dutch GP:
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) at 20 “932
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) at 56 “460
- Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri) 1 lap
- Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) 1 lap
- Fernando Alonso (Alpine) to 1 lap
- Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) 1 lap
- Sergio Pérez (Red Bull) to 1 lap
- Esteban Ocon (Alpine) 1 lap
- Lando Norris (McLaren) to 1 lap
Who was the leader of the F1 World Championship after the 13th race in recent years? And who won it? In seven of the last 10 seasons, whoever came out as the leader of the 13th race took the title at the end of the year. That’s what happened to Lewis Hamilton in the last three seasons and in 2015 and what happened to Vettel in 2011 and 2013.