More time for Williams in 2022

Jenson Button hopes to have more time in 2022 to look after the Williams team, which he has been a consultant to since 2021. The ex-world champion has not yet been able to contribute much, but that should change with possibly relaxed corona rules. So far, his role as a Sky expert has prevented him from doing so because he was in a different bubble.

“I spent a little time in the factory and, of course, in the races that I’m in,” said Button, explaining the situation at Williams.

“Basically, I was just a mouthpiece for certain people on the team. I have a lot of time with Dave Robson (head of vehicle performance; editor’s note) and [Teamchef] Jost Capito, and also with the marketing team, “said Button.” But I didn’t spend as much time with the drivers this year because I couldn’t go to the technical room or the garage because of the bubble. “

Button was only able to stay in the catering area and in the hospitality, where he could meet the engineers and team boss Capito. “It was pretty limited this year, which is a shame for both sides. But I’ll do a lot more with them in the new year,” promises the Briton, who began his Formula 1 career at Williams in 2000.

Button wants to help young drivers

The racing team had crashed quite a bit in the past few years. In 2019 and 2020 they only got one point and finished last, in 2021 they could improve to eighth place. With the new regulations one is hoping for the next jump, and Button is convinced that the racing team is taking the right steps.

“It’s a great team. They have good people and I’ll be spending a lot more time with them – including the drivers and the pilots from the youth program. They have some good young drivers on the list,” said Button.

“I’ll also spend some time with them in the simulator. I don’t drive, but I wish I would! But I’ll see how they drive and how they work with the team,” he explains. “That was my strength at the time: working with the team. I can bring a lot of experience with me.”

Russell: Good relationship with Button

In addition to regular drivers Nicholas Latifi and Alexander Albon, the Williams driver line-up in 2022 includes Formula 2 drivers Jack Aitken, Roy Nissany and Logan Sargeant as well as two-time W-Series champion Jamie Chadwick.

One driver who is leaving Williams, on the other hand, is George Russell, who after three years is moving to Mercedes. The Brit praises his compatriot: “I was lucky enough to have a good relationship with him even before Jenson came back to Williams,” says Russell. “He was very open and always there when you needed him.”

“Since the COVID rules were relaxed a bit, he’s always in the garage, in hospitality, talking to the guys, to the engineers, to me, to Jost. And I think it’s really great, just ideas, feedback and input from him and hear his experiences. He’s got a lot of that, “said Russell. “It’s always unique to have someone like Jenson on the team.”

With images from Motorsport Images.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.