Simracer is the first to make the switch to Formula 2

©Charouz Racing System

Cem Bölükbasi, originally a sim racer, will have the opportunity to prove himself in Formula 2 in 2022. The Turk, who competed in the Euroformula last year, started his racing career as an Esporter. In 2017 and 2018 he competed in the Formula 1 Esports Championship where he won a race.

From 2019, Bölükbasi focused on real-world racing, competing in the GT4 class, which he competed in in 2020. In 2021, the Turk stepped into a ‘single-seater’ for the first time, when he competed in the Asian Formula 3 Championship and later in the year also made his debut in the Euroformula, with the Dutch Van Amersfoort Racing.

Bölükbasi managed to win two races and finish on the podium seven times in the Euroformula, finishing fifth in that class (despite missing the first ten races of the championship). This gave him the opportunity from VAR to test with a Formula 2 car in Abu Dhabi at the end of 2021.

That test went so well that Charouz Racing System offers him a seat in 2022. The Turk is delighted with this unique opportunity: “I’m really excited to be driving for Charouz in Formula 2 in 2022. I’ve worked so hard to get this opportunity and I want to thank Charouz for their trust in me and I’m going to do my best to repay that.”, said Bölukbasi.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.